There are only two emotions: love and fear. All positive emotions come from love, all negative emotions from fear. From love flows happiness, contentment, peace, and joy. From fear comes anger, hate, anxiety, and guilt. It’s true that there are only two primary emotions, love, and fear. But it’s more accurate to say that there is only love or fear, for we cannot feel these two emotions together, at exactly the same time. They’re opposites. If we’re in fear, we are not in a place of love. When we’re in a place of love, we cannot be in a place of fear.
-Elisabeth Kubler Ros
Love and fear are the root foundations of all emotions that we experience as human beings. At a time like this, when there is so much uncertainty, it’s easy for us to default to feelings of fear, especially when we tune into mainstream media and news.
One of my mentors, Dr Shefali, taught me that we always have to accept the as-is of our present reality. As COVID-19 spreads throughout the world, we are asked to socially isolate ourselves and there is nothing we can do about that. But we have to remind ourselves that we always have a choice. We get to choose how we feel and we can always choose love over fear.
Love is the antidote to fear.
There is so much research that shows that when we elevate our vibration and allow ourselves to feel renewing emotions such as love, appreciation, gratitude, compassion, and joy then we can actually collectively raise the consciousness of this world.
When we are in this state, we are in a state of heart coherence. Heart coherence is when our heart, mind, and emotions are all operating in harmony with each other.
Benefits of Heart Coherence:
- Lowers our cortisol (our stress hormone)
- Increases resilience to adversity
- Improves memory
- Improves problem-solving
- Increases intuition and creativity
- Improves job performance and achievement
- Increases longevity
- Improved cognitive function
- Improved emotional health,
- Improved self-regulatory capacity
- Improved psychosocial well-being
When we are in coherence our nervous system is in a parasympathetic state which is when our body does the most healing and repair and when our immune systems function at their best. Coherence can actually be measured by something called heart rate variability. There are a variety of devices that can measure heart rate variability. One of those is a tool called Inner Balance by a company called Heartmath. This tool can objectively measure whether you are in coherence or not and it can really bring awareness to the state of your nervous system and help you adjust your thoughts and emotions.
Here is a wonderful one-minute meditation that I learned in my Heartmath certification course. It’s called Quick Coherence because it can very quickly put you into a state of high coherence and high vibration.
Quick Coherence Meditation- 3 Simple Steps to Positively Manage Emotions:
- Close your eyes and start paying attention to your inhale and exhale
- Focus on inhaling and exhaling through your heart centre
- Think of renewing and positive emotions such as love, compassion, joy, gratitude, and appreciation
Bonus step: Send out those positive and renewing emotions to those who need it most and to the whole world.
Even though there is a lot of fear and chaos in the world right now, we can find something to be grateful for.
Remember this when you feel fearful or anxious:
- You wanted more time with family…you got it
- You wanted to deepen your faith…you got it
- You wanted to declutter your home…you got it
- You wanted time off work…you got it
- You wanted to finish reading/writing that book…you got it
- You wanted to start a new business…you got it
- You wanted to be of service to humanity…you got it
- You wanted to see who your real friends are…you got it
- You wanted to practice more gratitude…you got it
- You wanted to know the power of relationships…you got it
- You wanted to practice making your own meals…you got it
- You wanted to practice equanimity…you got it
- You wanted to face your fears…you got it
- You wanted to tell people you love them…you got it
- You wanted to learn how to be healthy…you got it
- You wanted to work from home…you got it
- You wanted a less polluted planet…you got it
- You wanted to sleep more…you got it
- You wanted more time to reflect on life…you got it
- You wanted to serve thy neighbour…you got it
- You wanted to mend your relationships…you got it
- You wanted to know the power of your thoughts…you got it
- You wanted to witness the power of God…you got it